Monday, August 10, 2009

Iva

Wow... it looks like I'm going to be the grandmother of the bunch. (My grandchildren call me Mimi, so feel free to do the same :D )

I first began sewing in Home Ec. class in junior high school and made clothing items first for myself and then years later for my children. My mom was one of those who wouldn't let me use her sewing machine until after I learned how to sew (go figure... ha!). But she did teach me to do hand sewing, and after an incident where I broke a needle in my hand I swore I would never do hand sewing again.

But many years later I saw a quilt in a magazine and the bug hit. I just had to make one myself. So 20 years ago I took my first quilting class and made a sampler wall hanging -- that I hand quilted no less (never say 'never'). Two full size quilts followed that wall hanging, then life got in the way and it was years before I would ever pick up quilting again.

Since, I've made a couple of quilts for myself, one for my mother-in-law, one for two of my three children (third child's quilt is still in the concept stage and he's getting very impatient), and one for each of my three grandchildren, as well as a few baby quilts. Some of these you can see on my Plain and Fancy blog.

So I guess you could say that I am still a novice quilter with much more to learn.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you who have chosen to participate in this virtual quilting group, and can't wait to see everyone's ideas.

Blessings, and happy quilting!
Iva


No comments: